I Am Pagan

Friday, February 17, 2012

D is for Dancing

Some people may look at dancing and what does THAT have to do with paganism? or religion at all? I guess it all depends on who you are.

Perhaps incorporating dance into my spirit is something that started as a child. I was lucky enough to have a mother that made me go into ballet. My first memory of dance is of running across the room and 'jumping over the moon' (in reality one of her black high heeled dance shoes) in the crude attempts of a child dancer to perform a grande jete. I never felt crude nor out of place dancing. I felt like I was flying and I was beautiful to everyone who watched. I remember how proud I was when I had my first solo at the age of 13ish in a ballet called Coppella as one of the dolls (a chinese doll). Dance got put off as I got older for other things like being a teenage, martial arts, and the like. As I got older I have tried to recapture part of that feeling of youthful joy during dance. I have tried cancan, and bellydancing, and even an adult ballet class. I may look like an overstuffed sausage trying to dance but my spirit still feels the connection. Now mostly you might find me randomly doing turns when I think no one is looking in an empty room (especially when it has beautiful wooden floors) or sometimes around a bonfire at a festival.

What many may or may not know is that I also dance with fire. I find it puts me in an euphoric state. I have a very special spiritual connection with fire which I will go into when we get to the letter F. Sacred fire and sacredness of dance are the perfect match for me. I don't care who is watching or anything else outside my sphere of light. My body goes with the fire, the music, an my spirit. It is an amazing feeling. The energy is addictive and empowering. Is it for everyone, definitely NOT. Is it for me....I say yes.







No comments:

Post a Comment